Tuesday, January 20, 2009

El Nora Doreen Mills 1917-2009

I wanted to share the passing of my grandmother El Nora Mills. She was born in 1917 and died January 20Th 2009. She was 91 years old, and married to Harry Brooks. She is my mothers mom, and was the last living grandparents I had. She died of Cancer and many other complications. I do know she lived in severe pain for a long time. She never complained much about it or even wanted to talk about it. She also requested that there not be a funeral or burial for her. There will be a memorial sometime this year though.

Some of my memories of her are vague, but delightful. She loved to shop (runs in the blood), and I remember her saying when she came to visit us in California "I need to go crash now"! Being young I would get worried what that meant when she would say that. It just meant she was going to go take a nap! I can remember her smell and her clothes most of all; it was very distinct. I remember a shopping trip with her and my mom distinctly when I was very young. She moved later in life to Cincinnati Ohio with her husband Harry.

I have many antiques of hers that she would collect when she traveled. I think she traveled around the world a few times. My mom has albums after albums of her riding camels and such. She just loved to see the world! She always was good about sending cards and notes for Birthdays, Anniversary's, and Get Wells. My mom tells me stories about her and sometimes had mention I remind my mom of her mom. I know she is with past loved ones and her parents somewhere. I might not know much about my grandmother; or even got to see her often, but I do know she is very special, and kind. I know she will be missed by many, and all of her grandchildren especially. The most important thing to me is that she had my mother, and for that I am eternally grateful! I love and will miss you so much grandma.

No comments: