If you are a fan of the show "So You Think You Can Dance" then you will totally know who I'm talking about! This weekend I was lucky enough to have a past dance student of mine from Kansas come out to Orlando, Fl to dance in the National competition for "Hall of Fame" She preformed her tap solo and I was able to meet up with her and her family to watch Saturday night. It was so fun to get to see her preform again and to visit with her family. Her name is Emily Daly. The competition was held at the "Peabody" hotel. So that night after Emily preformed her solo we had some time to spare before they announced the awards. So we took some pictures in the hallway and talked and caught up a bit. So as we where talking in the hallway guess who happens to walk by? "Sonya Tayeh", who is an amazing Contemporary choreographer and is a guest judge and Choreographer for "So You Think You Can Dance"! I did know she was going to be at the "Hall of Fame" dance competition as a judge and dance teacher for the workshops.I also was hoping I would be able to get a picture with her at some point. So after she walked by I totally got my camera and followed to where she went. She had turned into a practice room where the dancers warmed up, and she was just chatting with some other dance teachers and kind of hanging out. So of course I took the opportunity to talk to her and get a picture. Emily my dance student also was with me and got a picture with her as well.
I have to say that she was so humble and totally okay with a picture. I told her it was an honer to meet her and I told her how talented she was and how much I love her choreography. It was so funny because after saying this she did her pray hands and did a head bow at the same time. Its just like on "SYTYCD if she gets compliments she does that same thing. I told her before she left the room that she probably hears the stuff I said all time and she looked at me and said "Every time I hear it, it is a blessing to me" I thought that was pretty neat. She is completely humble. On a side note I was kind of surprised how short she was in person. I'm pretty short, but I actually felt tall when I stood next to her. It was just way cool!
The next morning they were holding whats called Master classes for all the dancers. I was fortunate to be able to go with my former student to take Sonya's contemporary dance class that morning. Of course it was packed with dancers and for sure I know I was one of the oldest ones in there, but I was ecstatic to have this opportunity. So of course the master class was "Amazing" and full of Sonya's style of dances from "SYTYCD" I had a ball with this experience and I can't thank Mary and Emily Daly enough for inviting me with them. Thanks so much guys!

Sonya and Me

Sonya teaching the master class

Me stretching out

Emily Daly my former dance student after performing her tap solo

Sonya and Emily
1 comment:
That is the coolest thing...!!!!! And you got to take a class from her, I bet you did wonderful! I have been watching faithful this year again. I have to ditto your comment about Mia, but I love Little C - he makes me laugh. Looks like life in Florida is good for you, I am glad to hear it. Miss ya!
Post a Comment